Wolwedans plans to expand its existing infrastructure and start with a number of new projects in 2019/20 (comprising standard brick and mortar buildings, as well as wooden camp structures). We hence need a capable and experienced Site Supervisor who can manage and coordinate various teams ensuring that tasks get done, and that highest quality levels are met (and maintained).
Our “development brigade” (individual ‘contractors’ mainly in the field of carpentry, brick-laying, painting, ‘handlangers’ etc.) can grow to 20+ men, pending projects. You will hence be in charge of a bigger teams and leadership skills are essential.
Ongoing maintenance work of existing infrastructure falls under the responsibility of a Maintenance Manager, whom you will be reporting to, in addition to the Operations Manager and Managing Director.
- Manage ongoing building projects (comprising standard brick and mortar buildings, as well as wooden camp structures).
- Manage and control inventory - both equipment and building material
- Manage/coordinate team of 20-30 artisans, including basic HR, time recording, disciplinary processes, PAD’s etc.
- Ordering of technical equipment and building materials.
- Plan ahead and prepare orders for materials needed to ensure that workflow is not interrupted (not waiting for a week for material to arrive)
- You need to be 35 years+, and not older than 60 years of age
- Ten years of practical experience in carpentry and/or building industry is a definite must
- Experience in the field of carpentry and conventional building is essential
- You should have worked as a team leader or supervisor, with the respective responsibilities, for at least 3 years
- Fluency in English is an absolute must (speak, read, write)
- Computer literacy & administrative skills are a must
- Reading and understanding building plans is a must
- Numerical skills (make calculations for setting out a site/building/structure) are essential
- Pleasant, charming and outgoing personality with good communication skills
- Professional work ethic
- Integrity and a good team player leading by example
- A passion to pass on knowledge to juniors in the team
- Willingness to pursue further learning and self-advancement
- A neat appearance, sober habits and immaculate track record (esp. with regards to alcohol and drug abuse)
- Passion for nature, wildlife and sustainability, as this is what drives Wolwedans (purpose) and you will have to embrace that too
This position will be on a FTC (fixed term contract) basis spanning 6 months with the option of extension. The position requires setting up temporary residence at Wolwedans (in the heart of NamibRand Nature Reserve), thus applicants need to enjoy living out in nature. Also, you need to be prepared to work on-site for six continuous weeks at a time.
Contactable references must be supplied, and a probation period is applicable.
We offer ‘work with purpose’, competitive daily fees (negotiable pending experience), a wonderful working environment, a healthy lifestyle, free board and lodging at Wolwedans.
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria may email their CV, together with a covering letter, and a recent head & shoulders photograph to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. CVs will not be returned.