Wolwedans needs a capable and experienced Maintenance Supervisor who can manage and coordinate a team of artisans ensuring that the jobs get done, and that highest quality levels are met (and maintained).
Apart from ongoing maintenance work, Wolwedans plans to expand its existing infrastructure, as well as start with a number of new projects in 2018/19 (comprising of standard brick and mortar buildings, as well as wooden camp structures). To achieve this, we need to develop professional and efficient artisan teams.
In addition to building of new infrastructure, the day-to-day maintenance needs to be managed. This maintenance also includes the supervision of mechanical, electrical, plumbing and metal work operations.
The permanent maintenance team comprises of about 10 full-time artisans, technicians and all-rounders (with respective expertise). Our “development brigade” (carpenters, brick-layers, painters etc.) can grow to 20+ men, pending projects. You will hence be in charge of a 20-30 strong team and leadership skills are essential.
Lastly, Wolwedans is strongly invested in vocational training, mainly in the field of hospitality. We seek to expand our efforts by offering artisan training in the future (facility maintenance). Hence, practical training and facilitation (in essence passing on knowledge and experience) will form an integral part of this position, albeit there will be dedicated training personnel too.
Key Performance Areas
- Manage ongoing maintenance (preventative and repairs) of all existing infrastructure (brick and mortar as well as canvas/wood) and technical equipment (i.e. vehicles, solar systems, web-coolers, generators, power tools etc.)
- Manage and control inventory - both equipment and building material
- Manage/coordinate team of 20-30 artisans, including basic HR, time recording, disciplinary processes, PAD’s etc.
- Procurement of technical equipment and building materials.
- Plan ahead and prepare orders for materials needed to ensure that workflow is not interrupted (not waiting for a week for material to arrive)
Experience / Knowledge and Skills
- You need to be 35 years+, and not older than 60 years of age
- Ten years of practical experience in carpentry and/or building industry is a definite must
- Experience in the field of joinery and cabinet making is an advantage (precision woodwork)
- You should have worked as a team leader or supervisor, with the respective responsibilities, for at least 3 years
- Fluency in English is an absolute must (speak, read, write)
- Computer literacy & administrative skills are a must
- Reading and understanding building plans is a must
- Numerical skills (make calculations for setting out a site/building/structure) are essential
- Pleasant, charming and outgoing personality with good communication skills
- Professional work ethic
- Integrity and a good team player leading by example
- A passion to pass on knowledge to juniors in the team
- Willingness to pursue further learning and self-advancement
- A neat appearance, sober habits and immaculate track record (esp. with regards to alcohol and drug abuse)
- Passion for nature, wildlife and sustainability, as this is what drives Wolwedans (purpose) and you will have to embrace that too
- An accredited qualification (beyond NTA Level 4) is an added benefit and would be advantageous
This position requires setting up temporary residence at Wolwedans (in the heart of NamibRand Nature Reserve), thus applicants need to enjoy living out in nature. Also, you need to be prepared to work on-site for six continuous weeks at a time.
Contactable references must be supplied, and a probation period is applicable.
We offer employment with a purpose as well as competitive packages (including medical and pension), a wonderful working environment, a healthy lifestyle, free board and lodging at Wolwedans, training support and the commitment to look after you to the best of our abilities, and help you grow. That is, if you commit to give your best to us too!
This position is available until a suitable candidate is found.
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria may email their CV, together with a covering letter, and a recent head & shoulders photograph to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. CVs will not be returned.