Wolwedans seeks to expand its current guest facilities (both extensions and renovations of existing infrastructure, as well as new projects) and seeks to develop a highly professional and skilled carpentry division. Precision work is vital and Wolwedans carpenters must be equipped with intimate knowledge of the woodwork trade.
“Carpenter, Cabinetmaker or Joiner” – there are many different titles for skilled craftsmen doing a similar thing – that is to work and build with wood. All camps at Wolwedans are constructed with wood. Staring with vertical pole structures and frames, wooden decks (indoor and outdoor), roofs, finishes like doors, stairs and benches as well as cabinets. The same applies to furniture. All of this needs to be built first and then maintained/fixed and cared for.
Different areas require different skills and in our case, we are looking for gifted artisans who can ideally do it all. Ideally (but not necessarily) you hail from a furniture manufacturing background as the finish of our structures require far more attention to detail than is the case with conventional carpentry (“dak kappe en deure hang…”). If you are a skilled carpenter or joiner, and want to learn and advance yourself, you are welcome to apply.
The successful candidate will work in a small team (building and maintenance), and report to the Carpentry Supervisor and/or the Maintenance Manager.
- Experience in carpentry and woodwork (can also be in the field of cabinet making) is a definite requirement
- An accredited qualification is an added benefit but not a must
- Good skills in handling a variety of power tools responsibly
- Reading plans and making calculations/measuring is a bonus
- Any additional artisan skills will be an advantage (i.e. brick-laying/plastering, plumbing, basic electrics etc.)
- Professional work ethic
- Good communication skills, integrity and a good team player
- Pleasant, charming and outgoing personality
- Qualified Carpenter/Cabinetmaker and/or Joiner, with at least 3 years (proven) experience in woodwork
- Thorough understanding how to handle materials (mainly different wood)
- Proper understanding how to handle and look after both hand- and power tools
- Commitment to professionalism and tidiness in the workplace
- You need to be in good health and able to carry a load if need be
- A neat appearance and sober habits (clean track record, esp. with regards to alcohol and drug abuse/challenges)
- Willingness to pursue further learning and self-advancement (in fields beyond carpentry, i.e. welding, painting, bricklaying etc.)
- Good communication skills (English speak read & write is a prerequisite)
- Valid drivers license would be an advantage
- Namibian citizen
This positions requires setting up temporary residence at Wolwedans, thus applicants need to enjoy the desert flora and fauna of the NamibRand Nature Reserve, and be prepared to work on-site for six continuous weeks at a time. Contactable references must be supplied, and a probation period is applicable. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. CV’s will not be returned.
We offer a competitive package, a diverse job and a challenging, dynamic and meaningful working environment.
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria may email their CV, together with a covering letter, and a recent head & shoulders photograph to: email@example.com
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. This position is available immediately.