The Namibian Institute of Culinary Education (21NICE) is a non-profit section 21 company (association not for gain), situated in the heart of Windhoek. It comprises a hospitality and chef training school as well as a training restaurant, which also hosts conferences in a variety of venues on the premises as well as small events.
The Chef School is managed by the Wolwedans Foundation and is an NTA accredited training facility. In this ‘living classroom’ the trainees create culinary delights of international standard as part of their practical component which is designed to expose trainees to the realities of the trade and prepare them to be employment-ready upon graduation. The purpose of 21NICE is the training of young Namibians, with the aim of creating meaningful employment opportunities within Food & Beverage, Commercial Cookery and the hospitality industry overall.
In order to provide our trainees with the highest level of practical facilitation, guidance in the kitchen environment and exposure to industry standards of food preparation and kitchen management, we seek to employ an accomplished Head Chef to join our senior team as a facilitator, as well as a coordinator for the functioning of the kitchen and its catering requirements.
This hands-on position would primarily be a day-service commitment, 5 days per week and on occasion – weekend events and conferences that have been scheduled.
- Facilitate training and submit reports as per the training schedule
- Have the ability to manage and motivate a team of trainees and kitchen staff calmly and in a professional manner
- Possess general HR experience (conflict resolution & disciplinary process)
- Assure that budgetary requirements are met or exceeded.
- Ensure that the restaurant and kitchen operate in strict accordance with health and safety regulations and standards of Namibia
- Exercise your ability to motivate staff and provide leadership.
- Work willingly as part of the facilitators team to ensure services and training are of a high standard.
- Possess a positive, cheerful attitude
- Design and develop menus to reflect the quality and standards of 21 NICE, paying special attention to seasonal availability, and take pro-active steps to constantly improve the “guests experience” while maximizing on the trainees learning opportunities
- Train and manage the performance of trainees and kitchen staff, ensuring they are aligned with the curriculum requirements
- Manage food storage, kitchen maintenance, cleanliness and waste disposal.
- Order and maintain stock in the dry store, cool room and freezer to support the menus and to meet requirements.
- Conduct regular stock takes, ensuring efficient stock utilisation.
- Ensure all trainees and kitchen support staff are dressed correctly to satisfy statutory requirements and enhancing the image of 21 NICE.
- Constantly update your knowledge and skills for the good of the establishment.
- Provide reports to the Head of Training as and when required
- Work cooperatively within the team, assisting with other duties, such as guest services, bookings, administration, maintenance and cleaning, when full-time hours in the above role are not required.
- Be an experienced and purpose driven individual who wants to make a difference, and who can naturally be an inspiration for trainees
- Prove previous experience in management of commercial restaurant/kitchen management.
- Display the ability to work effectively as a team leader and a team member.
- Be able to show previous responsibility for the menu, budget and ordering.
- Demonstrate data base management, record keeping and report writing skills.
- Possess the ability to manage food and beverage purchasing wisely
- Be able to work under pressure and cope with varied duties
- Proficiency in English is essential, with good communication and proactive problem-solving skills
- Display adequate computer skills
- Integrity, reliability & responsibility are a pre-requisite
- Possess sober habits and well-groomed appearance (leading by example)
- Namibian citizen, or holder of a residence or domicile permit
- Willingness to work unsociable hours (if required)
- Qualified chef with at least 5 years’ experience in a similar role with experience in a variety of hospitality venues with a minimum of two years as head chef
- Full Driver’s license
- Experience with outside catering and large functions
- A cooking qualification (equivalent to Level 5) and experience in training would be advantageous, as would international exposure
We offer a competitive package and dynamic working environment. Only qualified persons who meet the above criteria will be considered and only-short listed candidates will be contacted. If you meet the requirements above, and are interested in this challenging position, please forward your letter of motivation and updated cv with a recent passport-sized photograph, an indication of salary expectations and contactable references to: email@example.com
This position is based at 21 NICE which is Windhoek city-based, where staff work shifts (including weekends). Applicants may also hand-deliver their CV’s to our Head Office at 2 Mozart Street, Windhoek West. Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.