We are in need of a capable and experienced leader who can manage and supervise a team of carpenters and ensure that the job gets done and highest quality levels are met and maintained.
The entire Wolwedans Collection is built with wood and canvas (have a look at our gallery). Apart from ongoing maintenance work, Wolwedans plans to expand its existing infrastructure as well as start completely new projects in 2018. To achieve this, we need to develop a highly professional and efficient carpentry division, and we need a leader who is going to see it through.
Wolwedans is strongly invested in vocational training, mainly in the field of hospitality. We seek to expand our efforts by offering artisan training in the future. Hence, practical training and facilitation (in essence passing on knowledge and experience) will form an integral part of this position.
Key performance areas
- Coordinating workflow (and carpentry/joiner team) of day-to-day maintenance of wooden structures
- Planning and executing preventative maintenance operations
- Coordinating workflow (and team) of new infrastructures/projects, which would include contract carpenters
- Material inventory control and issuing
- Basic HR, time recording and monthly re-conciliations, disciplinary processes, PAD’s etc.
Experience/knowledge and skills
- You need to be 30+, but not older than 50 years of age
- 10 years of practical experience in carpentry (and building) is a definite must
- Experience in the field of joinery and cabinet making is an advantage (precision woodwork)
- You should have worked as a team leader or supervisor, with the respective responsibilities, for at least 3 years
- Fluency in English is an absolute must (speak, read, write)
- Numerical skills (to read building plans and make calculations for setting out a site/building/structure) are essential
- Reading and understanding building plans is a must
- Any additional artisan skills will be an advantage (i.e. brick-laying/plastering, plumbing, basic electrics etc.)
- Professional work ethic and good skills in handling power tools
- Pleasant, charming and outgoing personality with good communication skills
- Integrity and a good team player leading by example
- A passion to pass on knowledge to junior carpenters and trainees
- Willingness to pursue further learning and self-advancement (in fields beyond carpentry)
- A neat appearance, sober habits and immaculate track record, (esp. with regards to alcohol and drug abuse)
- Passion for nature, wildlife and sustainability, as this is what drives Wolwedans (purpose) and you will have to embrace that too
- Contactable references (at least three)
- While a Level 4 qualification would be very advantageous, esp. with regards to vocational training facilitation, it is not a key requirement.
- Valid driver’s license is a must.
This position requires setting up temporary residence at Wolwedans (in the heart of NamibRand Nature Reserve), thus applicants need to enjoy living out in nature. Also, you need to be prepared to work on-site for six continuous weeks at a time.
Contactable references must be supplied, and a probation period is applicable. Please do not apply for this position if you don’t have management experience. Rather opt for one of the “Carpenter/Joiner” positions instead.
We offer employment with purpose as well as competitive packages (including medical and pension), a wonderful working environment, a healthy lifestyle, free board and lodging at Wolwedans, training support and the commitment to look after you to the best of our abilities, and help you grow. That is, if you commit to give your best to us too!
This position is still available. The closing date is open until a suitable candidate can be found to fill the vacancy.
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria may email their CV, together with a covering letter, and a recent head & shoulders photograph to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. CVs will not be returned.