We are in need of a capable and experienced leader who can manage and supervise a team of carpenters and ensure that the job gets done, and highest quality levels are met and maintained.
The entire Wolwedans Collection is built with wood and canvas (have a look at our gallery). Apart from ongoing maintenance work, Wolwedans plans to expand its existing infrastructure as well as start completely new projects in 2017. To achieve this, we need to develop a highly professional and efficient carpentry division, and we need a leader who is going to see it through.
Wolwedans is strongly invested in vocational training, mainly in the flield of hospitality. We seek to expand our efforts by offering artisan training in the future. Hence, practical training and facilitation (in essence passing on knowledge and experience) will form an integral part of this position.
- You need to be 30+, but not older than 50 years of age
- 10 years of practical experience in carpentry (and building) is a definite must
- Experience in the field of joinery and cabinet making is an advantage (due to precision woodwork)
- You should have worked as a team leader or supervisor, with the respective responsibilities, for at least 3 years
- An accredited qualification is an added benefit but not a must
- A passion to pass on knowledge to junior carpenters and trainees
- Professional work ethic and good skills in handling power tools
- Reading and understanding building plans is a must
- Any additional artisan skills will be an advantage (i.e. brick-laying/plastering, plumbing, basic electrics etc.)
- Pleasant, charming and outgoing personality with good communication skills
- Integrity and a good team player leading by example
- Fluency in English is an absolute must (speak, read, write)
- Numerical skills (to read building plans and make calculations for setting out a site/building/structure) are essential
- Passion for nature, wildlife and sustainability, as this is what drives Wolwedans (purpose) and you will have to embrace that too
- Willingness to pursue further learning and self-advancement (in fields beyond carpentry)
- A neat appearance, sober habits and immaculate track record, (esp. with regards to alcohol and drug abuse)
- Contactable references
This positions requires setting up temporary residence at Wolwedans (in the heart of NamibRand Nature Reserve), thus applicants need to enjoy living out in nature. Also, you need to be prepared to work on-site for six continuous weeks at a time.
Contactable references must be supplied, and a probation period is applicable. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. CV’s will not be returned.
We offer a competitive package, a diverse job and a challenging, dynamic and meaningful working environment.
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria may email their CV, together with a covering letter, and a recent head & shoulders photograph to: email@example.com
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. This position is available as of January 2017. An earlier starting date is possible.