Our lodges are the perfect place to explore the desert on bicycles and we recently purchased 20 e-bikes with fat tyres. These electronically assisted bicycles need a mechanic to keep them in perfect shape.
We are looking for a bicycle mechanic to join our staff. Those interested in nature and tourism are strongly encouraged to apply, if they meet the requirements below:
Key Performance Areas
Experience/knowledge and skills
- 1 year experience working in a bicycle shop is a must
- Pleasant, charming and outgoing personality
- Strong physical fitness
- A and 4x4 driving experience is advantageous
- Good communication skills, integrity and a good team player
- Lodge-based field guiding exposure is advantageous
- Fluent in English (a foreign language will be beneficial)
- Passion for nature, wildlife and sustainability
- Willingness to pursue further learning and self-advancement (such as eventually becoming a bicycle guide)
- A neat appearance & sober habits is a pre-requisite
- Contactable references
- Competent and confident in the following Intermediate Bike Mechanic Skills BEFORE applying, such as:
- Remove and replace either a tube and/or tire from both the front and rear of a bike, and properly seat the wheel in the dropouts with proper tightening of the quick release lever in 5 minutes or less
- Remove and install pedals in 5 minutes or less
- Remove and replace a bike chain in 5 minutes or less
- Adjust a bike saddle, both height and fore/aft position
- Remove and replace a brake cable on a road bike equipped with internally routed cables
- Properly adjust both brake pad alignment and lever throw on a road bike
- Remove and replace a derailleur cable on a road bike equipped with internally routed cables
- Properly adjust both front and rear derailleurs on a road bike
- Adjust a bike helmet for the proper fit
- Properly tape handlebars on a road bike in 10 minutes or less
- Demonstrate general familiarity with carbon fibre bike frames
- Change a handlebar stem and properly tighten to the specified torque
- It is important to note that if you are invited to interview, you will be tested on your proficiency with these skills in order to be considered for a Guide Contract.
This position requires setting up temporary residence at Wolwedans, thus applicants need to enjoy the desert flora and fauna of the NamibRand Nature Reserve, and be prepared to work on-site for six continuous weeks at a time. Contactable references must be supplied, and a probation period is applicable. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. CV’s will not be returned.
We offer a competitive package, a diverse job and a challenging, dynamic and meaningful working environment.
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria may email their CV, together with a covering letter, and a recent head & shoulders photograph to: email@example.com
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. One position is available immediately.